Port Hope High School - 1853-2010
In 1851, the Government of Upper Canada passed an Act enabling towns like Port Hope to open Grammar Schools. Port Hope Grammar School was established in 1853 and opened in a room in the southeast corner of the first floor of the newly completed Town Hall. Mr. Oliver T. Miller remained in charge of the school until May, 1855, at which time classes moved to a separate building on the southeast corner of Dorset and Smith Streets. In September of the same year, the school reopened in a room above a store on Walton Street.
In the fall of 1856, the Union Grammar (High) and Common (Public) School opened in the upper floors of Knowlson's Building, on the corner of Walton and Cavan Streets, with Mr. John Gordon as Principal. In 1861, the Union School was moved to the site of the present Central School on Pine Street.
Legislation of 1871, changed Grammar to High, and Common to Public Schools and rendered the latter free which resulted in an influx of pupils. A separate High School under the direction of Dr. Purslow opened in January 1873 at the "Old Kirk" on the corner of Brown and North Streets (now demolished). There were 82 students and three teachers.
In January of 1879, students moved to a new High School building (now Dr. Hawkins) on the south-west corner of Pine and Bedford Streets which had been built at a cost of $12,000.00 (155 students and five teachers).
The new High School building was officially opened on October 31, 1956 (additions in September 1962, and 1970) on the corner of Highland Drive and Victoria Street.
In September 2000, Dr. Hawkins was closed down, and was moved into a wing in the high school where they currently operate as a separate school.